Du BOIS Ancestry

YOUR Du BOIS ANCESTORS: Descendants of Jacques and Pierrone Du BOIS

The Du Bois family of New York, are descendants of Chretien DuBois(b.ca 1590) and his wife Francoise le Poivre.

He was a prosperous middle class linen merchant and devout protestant from the village of Wicres, outside of Lille, in northern France.. Chretien was the father of seven children:Francois(b.1622), Anne(b.1624), Louis (b.1626-d.1696), Jacques (b.1628-d.1676), Antoine, Philippe and Toussaint.

The history of from where they came has been recorded in the “American Descendants of Chretien Du BOIS” published by the Huguenot Society of New Paltz

Our Descendant, Chretien, came from WICRES, a small town in Normandy near Lillie and part of City of Artois. This area was under the control of Spain until 1659 when it was handed over to the French. The King of France was Louis XVII who had strong beliefs that France should be Catholic and non Catholics should not be tolerated. This lead Louis XIV in 1685 to revoke the Edict of Nantes. This was drawn up in 1598 after brutal religious wars between the two sides and allowed the Protestant Huguenots to be tolerated. This was a reason why Chretien’s son, Jacques, a Huguenot needed to leave Flanders in 1675. He settled along with many other Huguenots in Leyden, Netherlands which was accepting of them. In fact he was married in a Walloon church in Leyden. DUTCH must have become his language soon after his move.

The Reformation, was a movement started by Martin Luther in 1517 in opposition to the Liturgy of the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church. The French Huguenot movement started in the mid 1500’s mostly influenced by the writings of John CALVIN. The 1500’s were not a pleasant time. With developing religious conflicts many wars were fought over our Christian religious beliefs and systems of worship in England, France, Netherlands, Spain and Germany.

The 1600’s were also a time of instability and change among power of the European countries. England which was weak became stronger under Henry IV and Queen Elizabeth, Spain which was strong under King Phillip became weaker with destruction of its Armada and attempt to invade England in 1588. France under King Louis XIV became stronger and Catholic and reversed its position on toleration of the Presbyterian Huguenots in 1685. The Netherlands became free of Spanish control, and independent.

The mid 1500’s and mid 1600’s was also the period of exploration and discovery by the European powers of the “New World”. In 1492 Columbus, an Italian but under the command of the Spanish Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand sailed the ocean blue in an attempt to get to Asia. After this there was continued Spanish exploration and control of Central and South America by several explorers including Vasco Nunez de Balboa, Francisco Pizarro, Juan Ponce de Leon, and Hernan Cortes. This included part of what would become the United States (Florida, California, and Texas). This Spanish exploration returned tremendous riches from the Gold and Silver it was able to bring back to the King Phillip. The English with John Cabot explored and claimed the area from Nova Scotia to Maine and Massachusetts. They also were controlling many of the Islands in the Caribbean area. The French were exploring Eastern Canada and fur trade. The Dutch were settling the New York area, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and up the Hudson. It was the start of the migration of Pilgrims from England to New England looking for religious freedom.. In 1620 the Mayflower sailed from England and landed at Plymouth. After this many English Pilgrims came to the Boston area having left England (many sailed from Leydon.)..

All this was occurring as Jacques Du BOIS made his way from Wicres, in Normandy in 1660 to Leyden, Holland, and then to Kingston, New York in 1675 and settled there as a Dutch immigrant with his wife and children. He did not join his older brother, Louis, who had emigrated earlier from Germany and settled as one of the founders of New Paltz.

The seventh child of Jacques and Pierrone Du BOIS was PIERRE (Peter) Du BOIS (1674-1738)
He was one year old when the family immigrated from Leyden Netherlands in 1675 to Kingston, NY. About 1707 Pierre, now 33, moved to Fishkill, NY which became his home. He married Jannetje BURHANS also of Fishkill and they had nine children.

Peter DuBois (born 1674), was a founder of two churches at Poughkeepsie and Fishkill, NY and for more than 20 years, his name appears as a prominent ruler of both. He also founded a Union of Churches that continued until 1772. He built a stone house which still stands, 3 ½ miles from the village of Fishkill on the west side of Sprout Creek. It was a mansion in its time, with a wide hall, sitting room, parlor, and bedrooms in the main part. The large kitchen, with mammoth fireplace, and rooms for the colored servants were in the wings. This Peter DuBois, born in 1674 and believed to be a direct forefather of our family, died January 22, 1737 at age 63 years. In 1714 his name is registered in the list of inhabitants of Duchess County. His tombstone is still to be seen in the churchyard of the Dutch Reformed Church at Fishkill village with a Dutch inscription of his birth and death. “This Dutch inscription is to even remind his descendants that he claimed Holland, under whose protection he was born, as his fatherland. The sons of Huguenots have no portion in the lands of their forefathers, and no right of inheritance in France. Driven from her soil, they took away with them nothing but their selves..

JOHATHEN Du BOIS was the fifth child of Peter and Jannetje Du Bois and was born in Kingston, N.Y. in 1704. He married Ariantje OUSTERHOUT and settled on land inherited from his father, east of Sprout’s creek, near Wappinger Falls, N.Y. He apparently farmed this property (464 acres!) and died “respected and esteemed.”. He and is wife produced eight children.

 PETRUS (Peter) Du BOIS was the first child of Johnathen and Ariantje Du Bois. He was born in 1734 in Kingston and married Maria Van VOORHIS. He inherited land from his wife’s father and farmed the land during his life. He died at age 39 from an accident when he was thrown from a horse.. Petrus and Maria had five children.
Two years after his death, his widow, Maria remarried Dr.Theodorus Van WYCK. Her sister, Barbara Van VOORHIS had married Richard Van WYCK, a first cousin of Theodorus who was an ancestor of Maria Louise Dixon Du Bois my mother. Theodorus became the stepfather of Maria’s children.

Theodorus Van Wyck’s father in law was Col. John Brinckerhoff He Lived in the old stone house down the lane at Swartoutville._ _. A promiment citizen of the colonies prior to the Revolution. He joined the American Army. A soldier & a patriot. He was the intimate friend of General Washington. His confidential adviser during the dark days of the War for Independence. His home was the head‑quarters of Gen Washington. Who spent a night & day there in secret correspondence with Comt_ Rochambeau the French minister. The time of the anxiety respecting the arrest of Major Andre. As soon as the darkness of the second night shielded them from observation; they departed upon horses. Through the Highlands. in time to arrest the ‑‑British Spy The Brinckerhoff house erected 1738. Remains unaltered. At Swartoutville._”

Dr. Doros Van Wyck made it his home with his father-in-law, Co., John Brinckerhoff. During the Revolution, it was occupied jointly with the Jay family. It was in this house that Peter Jay and his wife Mary Van Cortland stayed early in the Revolution to escape the dangers in Rye. Mary died here and was buried in the Vault of Gysbert Schenk.

Fishkill played an important role during the Revolution. The Van Wyck House stood in the center of the Fishkill supply depot, which occupied a crucial pass on the road between New England and the rest of the colonies. The 4th New York Provincial Congress, driven from White Plains in August 1776, met first in Trinity Episcopal Church. When the delegates complained of birds flying in and out of the glass-less windows, and of the lack of pews and other comforts, they moved down the street to the Fishkill Reformed Church. Part of the New York Constitution was written here, though some suggest that it may have actually been written across the street in Connors Tavern (where Ketcham Motors is now located), which offered tables, heat, and tankards of inspiration.
Among the delegates were John Jay and Robert Livingston, who helped draft the Declaration of Independence. The renamed New York Provincial Convention moved to Kingston in February, 1777, and Fishkill’s brief role as the capital of New York ended.” Later during the Revolution, the church was used as a prison by the Continental Army. Enoch Crosby, an American spy, was allowed to escape by orders of the Committee of Safety and General Washington.”

 CORNELIUS Du BOIS was the youngest child of Petrus and Maria. His father was killed in a horse accident in 1773 when Cornelius was two years old. He was brought up by his mother and step father. He did not get along with his stepfather Theodorus Van WYCK.. In 1784, his mother arranged for him to leave home and gave him money that she had earned from the sale of her fathers property. He moved to New York City and first learned the printing trade. He entered the merchandize business and worked in the firm of Sebring and Van Wyck until age 22, he established his own business with Isaac Kip and ran a wholesale grocery and commission business that profited. He married Sarah Platt OGDEN in 1803, and they had nine children, of whom five lived to adulthood. He lived 75 years. He is buried in the Marble Cemetery in New York

Cornelius Dubois (son of Peter Dubois and Maria Van Voorhis)284 was born May 20, 1771, and died September 8, 1846 in Saratoga Springs, New York. He married Sarah Platt Ogden on April 11, 1803, daughter of Robert Ogden III and Sarah Platt.: Cornelius DuBois was one of the founders and earliest supporters of various benevolent Institutions in New York City. Such as the “House of Refuge for Juvenile Delinquents,” of which he was the Treasurer, to the time of his death. The “Bank of Savings for the benefit of the poor,” of which he was the Director. The “Humane Society,” of which, in 1840, he was the only surviving member. As Treasurer he obtained an act of the Legislature, authorizing him to distribute the funds which had accumulated in his hands among various Charitable Institutions. He was one of the founders of the University of New York, Govenor of the New York Hospital, et  al


SARAH PLATT OGDEN (1782-1836) was the fifth child of Sarah Platt and Robert Ogden (1746-1826), a lawyer who worked in New Jersey and New York, and served as quartermaster during the Revolutionary War. She had four siblings: Robert (1775-1857), Mary (1778-1852), Elizabeth, and Jeremiah. In 1803, Sarah married a prominent merchant and philanthropist named CORNELIUS Du BOIS (1771-1846). They had five children: Mary Elizabeth (b. 1805), Henry Augustus (1808-1884), Cornelius (1810-1882), Sarah Platt (1813-1897), and George Washington (1822-1910)

Cornelius was the first generation of our Du BOIS family to live away from the Fishkill area and he settled in New York City. He was also the first generation after the Revolutionary War and the establishment of the United States.

Cornelius and Sarah had five children

The oldest was MARY ELIZABETH (1805-1881) who married Francis C POTTER. He died soon after they were married and she married Edward Sherman GOULD. They had two children.

2065. Mary E. Dubois  b. Aug. 3, 1805; d. ;istm. 1827, Francis C. Potter, b. ;d. 1829; 2d m. June 17, 1833, Edward S. Gould, b.May 11, 1805; d. Feb. 21, 1885; son of Judge James Gould and Sally McCurdy Tracy, his wife, of Litchfield, Conn.  CHILD—First Marriage (Chart 30): 3425. Cornelius Dubois Potter, b. 1828; d. 1829.

CHILDREN—Second Marriage (Chart 30): 3426. Sarah Gould, b. Apr. 20, 1834; d. 1867.  3427. Edward Sherman Gould, b. Aug. 13, 1837; m. Sept. 23, 1868, Arabella Duncan Ludlow, b. 1844; dau. of Dr. Edward Greenleaf Ludlow and Mary Kennedy Lewis, his wife.   He is a civil engineer in the employment of the Spanish Government. They have 4 children.

Bio author: The Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans: Volume IV Johnson, Rossiter, ed. Twentieth Century Biographical Dictionary of Notable  Americans, – Vol. I-X (10). Boston, MA: The Biographical Society, 1904.  GOULD, Edward Sherman, author, was born in Litchfield, Conn., May 11, 1808; son of Judge James Gould. He removed to New York city and engaged in literary work, contributing to the Knickerbocker Magazine; to the Literary World; to the Mirror; to Charles King’s America, under the pen name of “Cassio “; and to several other periodicals. In 1836 he delivered a lecture before the NewYork mercantile library association, entitled, “American Criticism of American Literature.” In addition to translations from Dumas, Dupré Balzac,Victor Hugo, and A. Royer, he published: The Sleep Rider; or, the Old Boy in the Omnibus, by the Man in the Claret-colored Coat (1842); an Abridgement of Alison’s History of Europe (1843); a comedy The Very Age (1850); John Doe and Richard Roe (1862); Good English, or Popular Errors in Language (1867);Classical Elocution (1867); and a Supplement to Duyckinck’s History of the New World (1871). He died in New York city, Feb. 21, 1885.

The second child was HENRY AUGUSTUS who married Catharine Helena JAY.  HENRY AUGUSTUS Du BOIS was the second child of Cornelius and Sarah Ogden Du Bois. He was educated in Paris and then went to College of Physicians and Surgeons for his M.D. He returned to France to study medicine and then returned to New York in 1834 a year before he was married to CATHARINE HELENA JAY, the granddaughter of John Jay. He practiced in New York until 1840, and because of poor health retired. His father obtained land between the banks of the Mahoning River in Ohio which he gave to his son, Henry.

From 1840 to 1854 Henry and Catharine lived in the new community, Newton Falls, Ohio.  During this time Henry became president of the Virginia Channel Coal Co. They moved back to New Haven in 1854, where he lived until he died at age 76. After their return to New Haven in 1854, it was the time of the horrible Civil War in the United States (1861-1864) This threatened to split the country apart and resulted in so many deaths and disabilities of the young men of the North and the South. Henry and Catharine’s two oldest two sons were caught in this: Cornelius was severely wounded during the second day of Gettysburg and saved by his brother, Henry.

Henry Augustus Dubois, M.D. (Sarah P. Ogden885, Robert310, Robert83, Robert16, Jonathan4, John1), b. New York City, Aug. 9, 1808; d. New Haven,Conn., Jan. 13, 1884; m. Dec. 13, 1835, Catharine Helena Jay, b. June 11, 1815; d. Sept. 29, 1889; dau. of Peter A. Jay and Mary Clarkson, his wife. Dr. Henry A. DuBois”06 7 “in 1817 entered French Mil. Academy of Louis Baucel, a royal refugee of the French Rev.; 1823 entered Columbia College; 1827 graduated; Oct. 23, 1830, grad. M.D. College of Physicians and Surgeons, N. Y. Sept. 1831, went to Europe to complete his studies, returning in 1834. While in Paris was made member of the Polish Committee, which met weekly at the home of Lafayette. Attended funeral of Lafayette, following with other Americans next to the body. Apr. 9, 1834, was elected in Paris member of Geological Society of France. In 1835 appointed first in list of Physicians to New York Dispensary. * * Jan., 1852, he became President of Va. Canal Co. at Kanawha; July 28, 1864, received from Yale College degree of LL.D. in which he is signalized as one “qui de fide Christiana defendenda bene mentus sit1 for his reply to the English Essayists and for his refutation of the scientific infidelity of Darwin and Huxley. In 1869 went to France, Italy, and Malta for recovery of his health, impaired by four years1 incessant labor and hardship at Kanawha; July 5. 1870, returned to his home in New Haven, where he d. 1884.

 CATHARINE HELENA JAY, was the third daughter of Peter Augustus Jay and Mary Rutherford Clarkson. She was the granddaughter of John Jay and Sarah Livingston. She was the fourth generation since the original settler, Auguste, a Huguenot came to Charleston, S.C. in 1690 escaping the religous persecution in France. The couple had six children, two of whom were active in the War between the States. She died at age 74 crippled with arthritis in New Haven, Ct.

The third child was CORNELIUS (1810-1882) He married Mary Ann DELAFIELD and they had four children that survived infancy.

Born April 4, 1810 Died: May 5, 1882 Later Residences: West New-Brighton, Staten Island, NY Marriage(s): Mary Ann Delafield Dubois (6 Nov 1832) Biographical Notes: Cornelius Dubois was the son of the successful merchant and tobacco agent Cornelius Dubois and his wife Sarah Platt Ogden. Dubois was one of five children and received his early education at Louis Baucel’s French Boarding School. He graduated from Columbia in 1828 and after attending the Litchfield Law School in 1830 and after being admitted to the bar in New York City in 1833, he became the partner of Edgar Van Winkle for four years. Due to his father’s desire for him to join his tobacco agency so he could soon retire, Dubois gave up his legal practice in 1836 and joined his father’s mercantile firm. When his father retired in 1840, he and his father’s business partner, Issac A. Storm formed a new partnership. Dubois would later take a new partner and the firm became knowns as Dubois and Vandervoot. … [more]Quotes: On October 28, 1830 wrote to to Edgar Van Winkle about “an exhibition of the young ladies’ Seminary in this place” where “there were several very handsome and interesting young demoiselles.” “I understand from Mrs. Reeves that all the marriageable young ladies have been married off, and that there is at present nothing but young fry in town, consequently that it will not be as gay as usual. The young ladies, she tells me, all marry law students, but it will take two or three years for the young crop to become fit for the harvest, you need apprehend no danger of my throwing up my bachlorship [sic].”

Mary Ann Delafield DuBois. Even her start in life was a little unusual. Her American father, banker John Delafield, and English mother, Mary Roberts, were in London during the war of 1812. When she was born there in 1813, her patriotic father held the Stars and Stripes over the bed so that his daughter would always be able to say that she was born under the American flag. Moving with her family to the US, she had a conventional upbringing in New York City and at the Litchfield Female Academy. On her 19th birthday she married attorney Cornelius DuBois, son of a grocery and tobacco wholesaler. Just a few years later, the Panic of 1837 struck and young Mrs. DuBois began to show her true colors. Seeing that the number of homeless was growing, she appealed to her father-in-law to house some of the men in his empty tobacco warehouses. She had her way. Later, a former housemaid appeared at the door, distraught. She was pregnant and had no one to turn to. Though there were a few homes for poor or unwed mothers run by churches, she was somehow of the wrong denomination. Could Mrs. DuBois help her? – yes. The result became the Nursery and Child’s Hospital. Mary Ann funded it at first with her own and her husband’s money. When that wasn’t enough, she appealed to her friends. To widen the circle of donors even further, she began to hold charity balls, perhaps the first of their kind. After trips to Albany, the NY State legislature helped out. Nursery and Child’s Hospital flourished. It grew and moved and merged until in 1934 it became part of what is today NY-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center. Amazingly, with a very large family and her outside projects, Mary Ann still had time to become an accomplished sculptress and be elected a member of the National Academy of Design. The cameo above is a self portrait. All of this was accomplished with a severe speech deficit which may have been a manifestation of neurasthenia. She is buried, along with her husband and four children who died young, in Vault 54 of the New York Marble Cemetery

The fourth child was SARAH PLATT (1813-1897) who married Dr Alfred WAGSTAFF. By the early 1800’s, several wealthy New York City residents began to build summer estates in West Islip.

One of those men was Dr. Alfred Wagstaff, who was born in New York City in 1804. His father, David Wagstaff, was an English immigrant who made a fortune as a notable merchant. After attending Columbia College Medical School, Dr. Wagstaff started his own practice in New York City. He also traveled extensively throughout Europe and managed the finances of his privileged family. By 1859, Wagstaff had purchased a large portion of West Islip land on both sides of what is now Montauk Highway (at that time it was South Country Road). The land was alongside a pond -which formed Willets Creek-so when he built his summer estate he named it Tahlulah, an Indian word for “leaping water.” Wagstaff was the largest landowner on Long Island until the Vanderbilts arrived 20 years later. His land stretched from the creek all the way to where Howell’s Road is today. He moved to West Islip permanently in 1870 and spent his days fishing with his family, riding one of his horses or at the newly opened South Side Sportsmen’s Club in Islip until his death in 1878. His family continued to reside in West Islip. Wagstaff left behind his wife Sarah Platt Dubois, and their four children: Sarah, Alfred Jr., Cornelius and Mary. Eventually, all of the children had homes built on the Wagstaff land. Alfred Jr. and his wife, Mary A. Barnard, named their home Opekeepsing, the Indian word for “safe harbor,” which is where they raised four sons and a daughter, Mary, who was married at Tahlulah in 1914. Alfred Jr. was the most famous of the Wagstaff children. He was born in 1844 in New York City and was about to attend his father’s alma mater, Columbia, when the Civil War started. At just 19-years-old, he was commissioned as a Colonel in the NYS National Guard. In the next two years, he volunteered for service under the Federal flag, rising to Lieutenant Colonel, which led to his life long title as Col. Wagstaff. When the war ended, he completed both college and law school at Columbia. Even though he went on to become a partner in the New York City based firm of North, Ward and Wagstaff, he also pursued politics. He served as New York State Assemblymen in Manhattan from 1867-1873, then Senator from 1876-1878. He also served as Clerk of the Appellate Division of the New York Supreme Court while also serving as president of the S.P.C.A until his death in 1921.

Their youngest and fifth child was GEORGE WASHINGTON. His mother had chosen the names for the first four children, and his father, Cornelius, wished to name the fifth. He was told by his wife that he was to pick three biblical names and one other and she would choose from the four. He chose Shadrack, Mischack, and Abednigo and George Washington!!

George Washington DuBois (1821-1910), youngest son of Cornelius DuBois (1771-1846), attended Princeton and graduated from New York University in 1843. He attended the Episcopal Theological Seminary at Gambier, Ohio, and in 1846 became a deacon. In 1847, he was ordained a priest of the Episcopal Church, and later that year traveled extensively, ministering to parishes in Ohio, Minnesota, Iowa, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and New York. During the Civil War, DuBois served as chaplain to the 11th Ohio Infantry Regiment. DuBois married Maria “Mamy” Coxe McIlvaine; they had eight children, including daughter Mary Cornelia DuBois (1864-1920). In 1885, Reverend DuBois built a small chapel named Felsenheim in Keene, New York.

Of interest is that he was the chaplain to the small church in Newton Falls, Ohio when his brother Henry was living there. Henry was one of the people responsible for building the church.


Catharine Helena JAY’s Grandfather of course had been very much involved in the Colonies separation from England and the development of our Democracy. JOHN JAY had married Sarah LIVINGSTON, a daughter of the then Governor of New Jersey. He was one of the early patriots and revolutionary founders of this country. During the Revolution he had been sent to Spain to try and negotiate support from the wealthy Spanish crown, then had gone to Paris to negotiate with Benjamin Franklin and Henry Laurens the peace treaty with the English, had return, been made Chief Justice of the new court by George Washington and then negotiated another unpopular treaty with England, and ended as Governor of New York and worked to pass the ratification of the new Constitution while Governor.
Their oldest son, Peter Augustus Jay, who married Mary Rutherfurd Clarkson, became a successful lawyer in New York City. They had eight children, four daughters of whom Catharine was the third. Peter Augustus Jay (January 24, 1776 – February 22, 1843) was the eldest son of New York’s only native Founding Father, John Jay. Peter was one of 6 children born to John Jay and Sarah Livingston Jay, and one of 2 boys (brother William was born in 1789) with 4 sisters: Susan (born and died in 1780); Maria (b. 1782), Ann (b. 1783) and Sarah Louisa (b. 1792)

Peter Augustus Jay was born at “Liberty Hall,” in 1776, at the home of his grandparents’, the Livingstons, in Elizabethtown, New Jersey. Like his father, he graduated from King’s College, the precursor of Columbia University. Notably following his graduation in 1794, Peter Augustus acted as private secretary to his father in London for the Jay Treaty.[1] The young Jay studied law and established a practice in New York City with his cousin Peter Jay Munro, carrying on a family tradition of public service. He married Mary Rutherfurd Clarkson, daughter of General Matthew Clarkson, in 1807 [2 ][3 ] and they had 8 children. From 1812 – 1817, Peter Augustus Jay helped found the Bank for Savings (thereby contributing to the establishment of the New York State savings bank system). As a Federalist, he was a member from New York City of the New York State Assembly in 1816, during which time he was active in arranging the financing for the construction of the Erie Canal. He ran many times for Congress, but was always defeated by the Democratic-Republican candidates. From 1819 to 1821, he was Recorder of New York City. He was a delegate from Westchester Co. to the New York State Constitutional Convention of 1821. He helped found the New York Law Institute in 1828, which today is the oldest law library in New York City. Jay was President of New York Hospital (1827-1833), Chairman of the Board of Trustees, King’s College and President of the New York Historical Society (1840-1842). [4] For a time he was also a Westchester County Judge.[5]

The Rye House: Under his father’s aegis, Peter Augustus installed European styled stone ha-has on the property and planted elm trees. His father John Jay died in 1829. In 1836, Peter Augustus contracted with a builder, Edwin Bishop, to take down the failing farmhouse that had been barraged by the British during the Revolutionary War. Reusing structural elements from “The Locusts” where his father grew up as a boy, Peter Augustus Jay helped create the Greek Revivalmansion that stands there today. Unfortunately his wife Mary would not live to see the house completed, as she died in Madeira on December 24, 1838. Peter Augustus Jay died in 1843 and the Rye house passed to his son, John Clarkson Jay.[8

Mary Rutherford CLARKSON’s father, Matthew Clarkson (October 17, 1758 – April 25, 1825) was an American Revolutionary War soldier and a politician in New York State. The town of Clarkson in Western New York was named after him. He was a great uncle of Thomas S. Clarkson, a member of the family who founded Clarkson University. Matthew Clarkson was born October 17, 1758 in New York to David and Elizabeth Clarkson. He was the great-great-grandson of Reverend David Clarkson (1622–1686), a notable Puritan clergyman in Yorkshire, England, whose sermons included “The Doctrine of Justification is Dangerously Corrupted by the Roman Church.” His great-grandfather was Matthew Clarkson who came to New York from England in 1690 as Secretary of the Province. He married Mary Rutherford on May 24, 1785, and Sarah Cornell on February 14, 1792. Clarkson died April 25, 1825.

He served in the Revolutionary War, first on Long Island, subsequently under Benedict Arnold. He was at Saratoga and, later, on the staff of General Benjamin Lincoln, was present at the surrender of Burgoyne at Savannah (1779) and at the defense of Charleston (1780). He was also present at the surrender of Cornwallis. After the war, Clarkson was commissioned brigadier general of militia of Kings and Queens Counties in June 1786 and Major General of the Southern District of New York in March 1798. [edit]Political service When the war ended, Lincoln became Secretary of War and Clarkson became his assistant. He served as a member of the New York State Assembly for one term (1789–1790) and introduced a bill for the gradual abolition of slavery in the State. As a Regent of the University of the State of New York he was presented at the court of French King Louis XVI. He served as U.S. Marshal (1791–1792), State Senator 1794-1795, a member of the commission to build a new prison 1796-1797 and President of the New York (City) Hospital (1799). In 1802, Clarkson was the Federalist candidate for U.S. Senator from New York but was defeated by DeWitt Clinton. He was President of the Bank of New York from 1804 until his death in 1825. [edit]Town of Clarkson On April 2, 1819, the town of Clarkson was established by the New York State Legislature and named in honor of General Clarkson. Although there is no evidence that he ever lived in Western New York, he reportedly owned a sizable amount of land there, and he gave 100 acres (405,000 m²) to the town

Children of Henry Augustus Du BOIS and Catharine Helena JAY
1. Col. Cornelius Jay DuBois, M.D., b. N. Y. City, Aug. 31, 1836; d. New Haven, Conn., Feb. 11, 1880
2. Peter A. Jay DuBois, b. Madiera, Spain Feb. 23, 1839; d. June 3, 1839. 3430.
3. Major Henry A. DuBois, Jr., M.D., b NY City. June 26, 1840; m. Emily M. Blois. He was Surgeon in regular army, and served in Civil War. They had 4 children.
4. John Jay Dubois, b.Newton Falls, June 6, 1846; d. Nov. 11, 1898. 3432.
5. Augustus Jay DuBois, b. Newton Falls Apr. 22, 1849; m. Adeline Blakeslee.
6. Alfred Wagstaff Dubois, b. Newton Falls Dec. 30, 1852. d. 17 May 1900 m Anna M Lictenberg
7. Mary Rutherford Dubois, b.NY City May 22, 1854. d Nov 6, 1919
8. Robert Ogden Dubois, b New Haven CT Jan. 19, 1860; d. Mar. 9, 1895; m. ■, Alice Mason. They had three children


Col. Cornelius Jay DuBois, M.D., b. N. Y. City, Aug. 31, 1836; d. New Haven, Conn., Feb. 11, 1880. Grad. Columbia Law School in 1861; on outbreak of Civil War went to Washington with 7th Reg1t; recruited Co. D. 27th Conn. Vols, at New Haven and was made Capt.; served under Gen. Hancock in Zooks1s Brigade at Aquia Creek, Falmouth, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville; was severely wounded at Gettysburg, July 2, 1863; rescued by brother, Dr. Henry A. DuBois3430, Ass1t Surgeon reg. army, but never fully recovered from wound; Gen. Hancock testified to his father there was never a more gallant charge, and Col. Brook said there never was a more gallant soldier in the army than Capt. DuBois. After partial recovery he became Adjutant of 20th Conn. Vols., and served under Hooker and Sherman in Georgia; in battle of Resaca, he seized colors from wounded bearer and planted them on summit of enemy1s position; brevetted Major by Pres. U. S. for bravery at Gettysburg, and Lieut. Col. for gallantry at Resaca; July, 1866, received degree of M.D. at Yale Medical College, and went abroad for health; on return spent balance of life at New Haven, bearing his sufferings with the same courage displayed in military action.


Their second son, Henry after the CivilWar, served with Indian Service in New Mexico. He moved to Mann County in California about 1868. Two of his brothers lived with in for a time. He was married to Emily Blois in 1880. They had four children .

BioYale: . Henry Augustus DuBois, M.D., b. at the residence of his g. f. DuBois, n. w. cor. Broadway and 8th street, June 26, 1840 ; Yale B.P., 1859; April 25, 1861, he joined the 12th Regiment of N.Y.S.N.G. as Hospital Steward, in a few weeks was examined for Asst. Surgeon, U.S.A., and passed No. 3 out of 40 applicants; Aug. 28, 186 1, was under Dr. Abadie in the Columbian Hospital, Washington, but was soon put in full charge. He served in the 6th U. S. Cavalry as Inspector of Cavalry ; May, 1862, Asst, Med. Director of the Army of the Potomac, subsequently Medical In-spector of the Artillery Reserve under Gen. Hunt ; was at the H of Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, etc., in all about 40 battles ; 1864, Inspector of Hospitals at headquarters of the Army of the Potomac ; in June, 1864, on Gen. Sheridan’s staff; Aug., 1864, appointed Asst. Med. Director of the Middle MilitaryDivision of Va., on Sheridan’s staff, and was with him in all his battles, and present at Lee’s surrender ; brevetted by the President Captain, and subsequently Brevet Major. In 1865, took charge of the U. S. Laboratory in Phil. ; May, 1866, sent to Fort Union, New Mexico ; resigned Feb. 21, 1868, and is now practising medicine in San Rafael, Cal., where he has founded a cemetery (Temaulpas), of which he is Comptroller ; delivered in Yale Medical Coll., April, i860, a course of lectures on Toxicology. Confirmed by Bishop Williams, in St. Paul’s, New Haven; m. in 5th Avenue Church, by Rev. John Hall, D.D., Dec. i, 1880, Emily, dau. of Hannah MariaFerris (dau. of Miss Schieffelin, who was dau. of Hannah Lawrence and Schieffelin), and Samuel Blois, M.D. i child.

The following article was written by Marilyn L Geary and published in the SanRafael paper. “DR Henry Augustus DuBois, Jr. settled in San Rafael in 1869 after serving as a surgeon in the Civil War and in the Indian Wars of New Mexico. Born to a wealthy East Coast family, Yale-educated Dr. DuBois was a great-grandson of John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court and a president of the Continental Congress. In his memoirs, William Kent described DuBois as “a New Englander and a straight-laced and proper citizen. He was educated, skillful and much esteemed.” Chickahominy Fever Dr. DuBois may have been lured to San Rafael by its healthy climate. In the California Medical Society’s journal, Dr. DuBois recommended San Rafael as ideal for a “sanitarium for chronic diseases.” During the Civil War, DuBois had contracted Chickahominy fever, a camp fever with symptoms of typhoid and malaria named for the mosquito-ridden swamps of the Chickahominy River in Virginia. The 1870 Census shows Dr. DuBois residing with 40-year-old Dr. Alfred Taliaferro, the first physician to practice in Marin. They lived in San Rafael Village with a 23-year old Chinese servant named Ah Poy. Dr. DuBois subsequently purchased land west of San Rafael at the end of today’s Fifth Street in what was called Forbes Valley. His land was far removed from town and included a section of Red Hill. Burials Prohibited When Dr. DuBois arrived in San Rafael, the town was growing fast, and the cemetery at St. Paul’s Episcopal Churchyard, Fourth and E Streets, could not keep up. In 1876, two years after San Rafael incorporated, town trustee Dr. Taliaferro proposed and got passed an ordinance prohibiting burials within San Rafael’s town limits. On Sept. 14, 1876, theMarin County Journal reported on a town meeting held to determine where to locate a new cemetery: “Nearly all the money and land kings were present.” Among several bids, Dr. DuBois offered a portion of his ranch for $13,000. The town trustees took no action, and the law to prohibit burials in town limits was rescinded. It was deemed “better to double up in the old yard than keep the dead above ground.” A Committee of One Not one to dawdle, by June 1878 Dr. DuBois had 40 men working on 113 acres of his land to build the new cemetery. He later stated, “I organized myself a committee of one.” He put enormous funds and energies into the venture, planting myrtle and ivy by the wagonload, laying out miles of roadways, setting out 2,000 trees and thousands of flowers. In September the Marin Journal reported that Dr. DuBois was doing a great amount of work. Schooners came up San Rafael Creek to First and C streets with loads of urns, fountains, sample monuments, granite walls and fences. DuBois had drawn up plans for a bell tower and an artesian well 2,000 feet deep. In December 1879 the Marin Journal reported that Dr. DuBois had toured 42 cemeteries in the East to collect drawings, photos, maps, statistics on water supply and other cemetery best practices. DuBois’ Folly In the late 1800s cemeteries were designed as parks for picnics and Sunday outings. DuBois expected that the cemetery would be a favorite destination and built miles of access roads. As he owned a portion of Red Hill, he hired Chinese laborers to build a zig-zag road up its heights to provide access from San Anselmo. Too steep for horse and buggy, the project gained the label “.” The Mt. Tamalpais Cemetery was dedicated in August 1879. It eventually served some of San Rafael’s most prominent families, including the Dollars and the Boyds. DuBois’ horizons, however, stretched beyond Marin. In January 1880 Dr. DuBois wrote in the Marin County Journal: “It is believed that, with the example of New York City, many burials from San Francisco will take place here…Objections [are] that San Francisco funerals must come on the boat and pass through town, but the midday, little-used boat will be used and funerals can pass on streets with few houses. Friends prophesy I will be ruined…I have been ruined so frequently – at least my friends have so prophesied – that I don’t mind it a bit.” Dr. DuBois built a number of artificial lakes at the cemetery. In 1881, reporting that the carp had multiplied from 11 to over 750, he suggested, “Carp raising would be a good industry here.”San Rafael in Denver? In 1874 Dr. DuBois platted a development in Denver, Colorado, which he named San Rafael for his California home. He expanded this subdivision in 1882 and 1886 as demand increased for more lots.The area, located 8 blocks northeast of downtown Denver, is now a heritage district on the National Register of Historic Places. An early advertisement described it as “beautifully located overlooking the city with a glorious view of the mountains.” Despite his activities in Denver, DuBois remained in San Rafael, Calif., where two of his siblings joined him. In 1880 he lived with his brother Alfred W. DuBois, a 28-year old Chinese servant Ah Jim and a 44-year-old servant Amelia Schuthris. Later that year, Dr. DuBois married Emily M. Blois, and they subsequently had four children. The Vaccine Farm : Building a cemetery, a residential neighborhood in a distant city, and a new family is more than enough to manage, but Dr. DuBois saw problems as opportunities. In the 1880s, vaccine panics often accompanied smallpox epidemics. Summer heat precluded transporting fresh vaccine from the East, and vaccine became scarce. The Pacific Coast Vaccine Farm didn’t last. Dr. DuBois died May 27, 1897 at age 55 of the typhoid fever he contracted in the Virginia swamps. Du Bois Street in San Rafael is named for another DuBois, but Dr. Henry A. DuBois Jr.’s legacy lives on in Mt. Tamalpais Cemetery and in Denver’s historic San Rafael district.”


John Jay Du BOIS was a lawyer and lived part of his life in San Rafael, California with his brother Henry. He was unmarried


Augustus Jay Du BOIS married Adeline Blakeslee and lived in New Haven. He was the Professor of Civil Engineering at the Sheffield School of Engineering, part of Yale University. They had no children.


Alfred Wagstaff Du BOIS married Anna Lichtenberg. He lived for a period with his brother Henry in California. He died in Paris of a “hemorrhage” at age 47.


Mary Rutherfurd Du BOIS was unmarried and lived and died in New Haven.


The youngest child, Robert Ogden Du BOIS was born in new Haven in 1860 the time of the Civil War. He went to Yale and then Yale Medical School. He then moved to New York City and opened a medical practice specializing in ENT problems. In 1889 he married Alice Mason, the daughter of Rev Arthur Mason and from the family of Jonathan Mason from Boston. They had three children, Arthur, Helen and Robert. Unfortunately he had Rhumatic Fever as a child, developed heart disease and died of congestive heart failure when he was 36. His wife Alice died soon after. Their three children were brought up by their Mason Uncle, called Boompa!

Her father, Arthur Mason was born in Boston in 1837. He graduated from Trinity College. He studied in Geneva and returned to enter Berkley Divinity School in Middleton, Ct. He married Amelia Caroline Taylor, He was Rector of a number of churches in Mass, New Haven and New York City. He died at his home in New York City in 1907 and was buried in the Woodlawn Cemetery.

Her mother, Amelia Caroline Taylor was born in Cuba. Her father was a successful sugar Merchant there. He lived in Cuba until 1848 when they returned to Baltimore, Md. His father had also been active in sugar trade with Cuba and had been active in Baltimore political life. He was involved in the War of 1812. He also was one of the managers of a statue erected to honor George Washington in Baltimore

The couple had four children, a son and four daughters. Alexander T Mason, the oldest, became active in NY Politics and was the Republican Leader of the 29th Assembly District. The oldest daughter, Isabella married Mansel Van Rensselaer and they had four children, Bernard, Arthur, Maud and Alexander. The next oldest daughter, Alice married Robert Ogden Du Bois and they had three children, Arthur, Helen and Robert, The youngest daughters, ”Maud and Teddy” never married

Her grandfather, Jonathan Mason, Jr., of Boston, was a portrait and figure painter, student of Gilbert Stuart, friend or acquaintance of virtually every major American artist of the nineteenth century. His father Jonathan died in 1831. He himself was married to Isabella Weyman in Italy in 1834. The sculptor Horatio Greenough was one of the witnesses. They had six children: sons Charles, Arthur, Herbert, and Philip, and two daughters, Isabelle (who married Charles Hook Appleton) and another who married William Sturgis Hooper. Arthur became an ordained minister. Herbert and Philip served in the Union army during the Civil War; Philip died from wounds in July 1864 and was interred atMount Auburn Cemetery.

Her Great Grandfather was Senator Jonathen Mason who was born in Boston and graduated from Boston Latin School and Princeton University. He studied law and was admitted to the Mass bar in 1779. He served in the Mass House of Representatives and in the Senate from 1786 to 1800. In 1800 he was elected to the United States Senate where he served from 1800 to 1803. He then returned to the Mass Senate and returned to Washington as a member of the House from 1817 to 1820. He married Susannah Powell whose family had immigrated from Wales and were early settlers of Vermont. Senator Mason was a friend of Gilbert Stuart and urged him to move to Boston. Portraits of them done by Stuart hung in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston

The oldest son, my father, Arthur Mason Du BOIS, Birth Nov 4, 1890 in New York Death Dec 1979 in New York married my mother, MARIE LOUISE DIXON+*Birth 15 Dec 1895 in Brooklyn, Kings, New York, Death 03 JUL 1943 in Hewlett, Nassau, New York, They had two children. Both are buried in the Jay Cemetery. Married Cornelia Prime COSTER Birth 6 Feb 1901 in New York, New York, Death 11 Dec 1956 in New York,

M. LOUISE Dixon Du BOIS was active in the formation of the New York Junior League. She had an active interest in history and documented the genealogy of my ancestors. This is kept at the Jay Homestead in Rye and as part of their exhibition.

3 thoughts on “Du BOIS Ancestry

  1. Marilyn L. Geary

    I see you have copied without permission word-for-word my article on Dr. Henry Augustus DuBois, Jr. written for the San Rafael Patch. The very least you can do is provide attribution for the content, which took me considerable time and research effort to produce.
    Thank you,
    Marilyn L. Geary


    1. jsdubois28 Post author

      I certainly can and apologize for using the material without permission. Henry Augustus was to me the most interesting of the children of HADB and CHJ and I have lost contact with his ancestors! Thank you for doing all the research. I am hoping to get out to San Francisco later this year. My wife is from there and I have a son in Portland. Would love to meet you when we come.


  2. ML

    You left out the 5th child of Dr Alfred Wagstaff. Helen Jay Wagstaff, born in 1853 and lost in the sinking of the Ville du Havre in November of 1873.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s