Category Archives: Jay Heritage Center

The JAY Farm in Rye: Property History

The JAY CEMETERY
PAJ PROPERTY HISTORY

??-1661. This was uninhabited Indian native land belonging to the Shenoroke Indian tribe.

1661-1745 The land was originally purchased from the indian tribe by John Budd. John Budd had immigrated to New Haven from England and was one of the early settlers in what became Rye. He purchased considerable amounts of land from the Indians, including the Manursing area and Rye Neck. He also purchased most of what is White Plains and Harrison today. It was his grandson, also John Budd, that inherited what was known as Budd Neck Patent that he sold to Peter Jay in 1745.

1745. The property was purchase by PAJ. He was a successful New York merchant and had married Mary Van Cortland. He wanted to move from the health dangers in the City. Two of his children, Peter and Anna Marie who were 10 and 8 had caught small pox and had been blinded by it. His oldest son Augustus who was 15 had a learning disorder and was probably intellectually impaired. His oldest daughter Eve was 17 and had “hysterics”. James, age 13 was a normal son! After he purchased the land, he built a farm house which was called the Locusts named for three locusts standing on the side of the house and they moved to Rye in 1745, the year John was born.

1745-1778. Their third son John was born in 1745, the year of their move and spent his boyhood life on the farm. A fourth son, Frederick was born in 1747 and the youngest child Mary was born in 1749 and died four years later. The Property was managed as a farm and the open field from the rear of the house toward the sound was mowed each year. This is the oldest continuously mowed field in the State of New York.

In 1750 at the age of 18 James was sent to Bristol with his Peloquin relatives and was educated. He graduated from Univ of Edinburg Medical School in 1760 and returned to Rye. He was knighted in 1763 for raising money for Kings College Medical School.

In 1764, John, graduated from Kings College and then Kings College Law School and passed the New York bar in 1768. He married Sarah Livingston, the daughter of William Livingston, the Governor of New Jersey in 1774 at age 28. During the Revolution he was assigned to first Spain and then Paris as a representative of our new country.

In 1766 Eve married Peter Munro, a Scotch minister living and preaching in Albany. In 1778 he was forced to return to Scotland and EVA with her son Peter Jay Munro returned to live with the family about 1780.

In 1773 Frederick (Faddy) married Polly Barclay worked and lived in New York as a trader. He became responsible for the welfare of the family during the Revolution.

1778-1784. REVOLUTIONARY WAR : JJ and SLJ were in Spain and France. Their son PAJ lived with his grandparents in New Jersey. Rye was no mans land during the Revolution. Peter and the family were forced to move for their safety. Faddy arranged for them to move to Fishkill. The Rye House was occupied and damaged by British troops. Mother Mary Van Courtlandt died in Fishkill in 1776 and was buried in a vault there. The family was robbed and they moved to Poughkeepsie. Peter died in 1784 in Poughkeepsie and was buried in the same vault as his wife. The House and property were willed to Blind Peter.

1785-1813. House and property were managed by Blind Peter. Living in the house were his new wife Mary Duyckinick, (married in 1789) , her sister Euphane, sister “blind”Anna Marika who died in 1791, brother Augustus who died in 1801 and his sister Eve Jay Munro who had returned from Albany with her small child Peter Jay Munro in 1780. Both Anna Marika and Augustus were buried in the family vault in the Stuyvesant orchard in the Bowerie.

1780-1801. John held a number of posts in the emerging federal government and as a strong Federalist was very supportive of the revision of the Constitution allowing more Federal power. In 1789 his last position, he was elected Governor of New York. He and Sarah moved to Albany. As Governor he supported a bill for the manumission of slavery in New York.

1801. JJ retired and lived in the house he had built on his mothers Van Cortland property in Bedford NY. Sarah Livingston Jay was in declining health and died a year after they moved. She was buried in the Family Plot in the Bowerie.

1804: The decision to start a family cemetery on the Rye property was made. John, while no longer living there was still very interested and involved with the family and what was happening in Rye. One of the factors that made the start of a cemetery on the family property was in 1810 realignment of the streets in New York was to occur. This made the Orchard were the family was buried tenth street. A move of the family plot became necessary. Also the death of the infant son of Maria Jay Banyer, Goldsboro Banyer and the same year of his father resulted in their burial in the East Meadow and the start of the Jay Cemetery. This was to be available for all related to JJ father Peter Jay. Then in 1807 the remains of family members that included his wife were removed from the Family Vault in the meadow in the Bowerie and were buried in a plot in the new Jay Cemetery in Rye.

1813: in 1813 “Blind” Peter died and was buried in the Jay Cemetery. The House after Peter Jay death was inherited by his brother John Jay. John Jay during this time allowed Peters widow Mary to continue to live there with her sister Euphane until her death which was in 1827. John Jay at this time had retired to the Bedford house and he gave the house and property to his oldest son Peter Augustus Jay.

1823: Sir James Jay died. After the Revolutionary War he had returned to live and practice Medicine in New Jersey. He did not marry but lived with Anne Erwin. His Loyalist standing had separated him from his brother. He was buried next to “Blind” Peter in the Jay Cemetery.

1829: John Jay dies in Bedford and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. The inscription on his tomb was written by PAJ and focuses on the many government roles that he achieved.

1827-1841. Peter Augustus Jay ownership and changes. Because of the damages that had happened with the British Occupation, the original house was torn down and the present Greek Revival house was built on the same site by PAJ. PAJ was a lawyer in NYC and used the Rye house and property a a summer home. His wife Mary Rutherford Clarkson died just when the new house was completed in 1838.

1841-1891 The house and property was inherited by PAJ oldest son, John Clarkson Jay, who used it during his life. He had married Laura Prime and they moved to the new house his father had built in 1841. Their seven children were brought up there. During this time the property was still an active farm. many changes to the property were made. The widow of Rev Peter Augustus Jay, Emile Post moved back with her four children in 1875. Also Their unmarried daughter Cornelia Jay grew up there. She Kept a diary of life on the estate. Also a sketch book.

1861-1865 CIVIL WAR. Lincoln presidency. Freedom of slaves, a project that had been strongly supported by JJ, PJM, PAJ, William Jay, JCJ. They were all active in the Manumission Society.

1891-1904. After the death of JCJ the house was used as a summer residence by his children and then rented. JCJ, II , Cornelia Jay who died in 1904. Alice Jay. ?others? The decision by the children to sell the property was made in 1900. There was also unhappiness among the children at the life style of JCJ. Much of his papers were destroyed.

1904: Property was purchased by architect Henry Ives Cobb. John Jay Realty Company with plans to restore the house and add additional houses of 5 to40 acres each. First development challenge. Further development of the property was planned including housing on Hen Island.

1905. The Jay Cemetery property was incorporated and kept separate from the sale of the property. The original trustees were John Clarkson Jay II, treasurer, Banyer Clarkson president, and John Jay, secretary. John Clarkson Jay III soon took over his fathers position and was treasurer from 1909 until 1940 as one of the second group of trustees.

1905-1910 House and property were bought and lived in by Warner Van Norden and his wife Grace Talcott and while development was planned it did not occur. In 1907 two new buildings were added. The carriage house which is still in use and the Zebra House where his several Zebras were kept. During this time they added a Butlers pantry, billiard room, and two paneled rooms from Europe. They also improved the outside gardens. A garden was developed in memory of his wife and used in fresh air summer programs.

1911. Possibly at the urging of neighbor John E Parsons the property was bought and maintained by Edgar Palmer. The land had been divided into potential building sites and Mr Palmer was able to arrange for purchase of them all. This began a period of relative tranquility for the house and property. He had married Zilph Hayes and they had one daughter, Zilph Palmer who after her fathers death in 1935, inherited the property and lived there with her husband Walter Devereau. During this time much of the outside was improved. A formal garden was installed. Also the rose arbor was maintained.

1935-1967 Devereaux ownership. The house and property was maintained.

In 1948 under the leadership of Mary Rutherfurd Jay, who was acting as President of the Cemetery during World War II. the Jay Cemetery was enlarged to the maximum size allowed by the State of New York. An agreement was worked out between Zelph Devereaux and Mary Rutherford Jay. Mary Rutherfurd Jay was very active with the cemetery. She wrote a history of the Jay Cemetery which was published and distributed to family members and also a large genealogy map of our ancestors.

1960-1967: The Devereaux decided to end their ownership of the house and property about 1960. A careful plan was worked out in 1967 To maintain the property and prevent development. The lower 120 acres became the Marshlands Nature Center under ownership and management of the County of Westchester, a side area was zoned for housing to help the City of Rye with property taxes, and they gave to the United Methodist Center the house and surrounding property of 23 acres to continue to use and maintain.

About 1970 an Advisory Board was established by the Westchester Parka Department to advise the use of the lower Marshlands Park area. The Jay Cemetery was represented by its president, John Du Bois. The goal was to maintain the property in its natural state. Also common use of the entrance road off the Post Road was negotiated.

1967-1983. Methodist Church Ownership. Start of the decline to maintain the PAJ house and up keep of the property. Methodist had growing financial problems. Unable to maintain the house they decided to put it up for sale. There were no buyers. Diane Milstein saw its value as a site for high priced houses made a bid and then delayed this. There was almost a sale to Hare Kirishners. It ended with sale to Milatein associates for 1.2 million There was little maintenance or changes to the house or property during this period. The Marshlands area was well managed by the County and became an increasingly popular place for people to walk with nature. The threat of housing on the upper land became an increasing threat in terms of its impact on the lower land. Karen Kennedy recognized the historic importance of the area and was able to get Federal Historic Landmark approval for the Jay House and property, the Jay Cemetery, the next door Parsons House and property and the house and property owned by the City of Rye. The sale of the upper house and property became an increasing concern to several groups. This included The Friends of the Marshlands, the local SOAR group, and others.

1983-1992 Milstein era. The development threat and its impacts on the area continued. There was the rise of the Jay Coalition. This started with concerned people meeting together. The Jay Cemetery acting through its President John Du Bois and his wife Sharon helped organize and support this. A group that included Sharon Du Bois, DeeDee Paschal from the Jay family, Rhoda Kornreich and Kitty Arreste from SOAR (Save our residential environment) Catherine Crane and others from Friends of the Marshlands grew in strength. The Demands for Condemnation of the property grew. Attempts at comprise were not effective. Battle lines were drawn. City, County, State and Federal approval were needed to block the development. There was need for a single strategy. Strength of the Coalition was its VERY tough woman negotiators. This was vs a VERY tough Developer. After delay after delay victory with purchase of the house and surrounding 22acres for 11.2 million by the State of New York occurred in 1992. The Jay Heritage Center was real. During this time the property and house were without any management and continued destruction was occurring. The house was broken into and vandalized. Overgrowth of all the gardens and orchard area. Death of trees, etc. Not only the main house was in very poor condition also all the out buildings were in disrepair. Zebra house and the large carriage house were in poor repair. The lower property under the management of the County continued to be used and maintained for the wildlife. The Jay Cemetery Board were active in their support to maintain the Marshlands wildlife area and supportive of the goals of the Jay Coalition.

1992-2000:. Development of the Jay Heritage Center as owner of the PAJ House and other buildings. The First project was to repair and restore the PAJ house, the Carriage House and the Zebra Barn. Need for fund raising and planning to restore the house and carriage barn. A group that included Rhoda Kornriech, Kitty Arreste, Dee Dee Pashal and others were able to accomplish this. Fund raising for restoration of the houses was begun.

2000-2012 The next stage was developing programs and uses for the property. The need to show the impact of not only the Jay family, but the Van Norden’s who built the carriage house and the Zebra barn, and the long ownership of the Palmer/Devereaux’s and his boating connections. The project needed new leadership. The role of Director of the Jay Heritage Center was assumed by Suzanne Clary. She showed wonderful leadership and enthusiasm in developing projects and raising funds and interest to maintain the House and Property. The original terms of the agreement gave the Jay Heritage Center control of the House and Carriage House, but the surrounding 20 acres was under county control. This became a growing problem that under Suzanne Clary leadership was resolved by negotiations completed in 2012 with an agreement giving the Jay Heritage Center control over the management of its surrounding 22acres. Development of programs continued during this period. The Marshlands continued as a nature Center. Alison Beale, the long term director retired and was replaced by Scott Williamson. The Jay Cemetery continued to be managed by a new group of trustees. Theo Budnick became president in 2000. Dr John Du Bois retired from his role as President at that time when he and his wife moved as Medical Missionaries to Panama. Sybil Baldwin retired as Secretary in 2010. Nicholas Bruen who was Treasurer for many years and helped build the cemetery financial security died in 2011 and was buried in the Cemetery. Huston Huffman assumed the role of treasurer and Trustee.
??-

JAY FAMILY TIME LINE

1665. Birth of AUGUSTUS JAY in La Rochelle France. Father is Pierre Jay, a successful Huguenot Merchant in La Rochelle.

 1685. Louis XIV revoked the Edict of Nantes, which gave protection to the Huguenots in France. 

 1685. Augustus family in La Rochelle had moved to Bristol, England, because of the fear of religious persecution.

1686. Augustus returned to La Rochelle on one of his fathers boats and was smuggled by a half Catholic/half Huguenot Aunt on board a ship that sailed to Charleston, SC to escape his being put to death. 

 1690 Augustus Settled in New Amsterdam/York. Dutch colony settled on the Southern tip of Manhatten 

 1697 Married ANNA MARIA BAYARD. Her family came to New Amsterdam from Holland. They had four children, three girls and a boy. 1698 Judith, 1700. Mary 1702. Frances. 

1704. Peter. Anna Maria BAYARD father was Balthazar BAYARD, her mother was Marietje Lookermans.

BAYARD STUYVESANT relationship. Balthazar father was Samuel BAYARD, his mother was the sister of Peter Stuyvesant, Anna Stuyvesant. Peter married the sister of Samuel BAYARD, Judith BAYARD. 

 1704 Birth of son PETER JAY. 

 1725: Peter educated in Bristol, England by his Uncle, Stephan Peloquin as a merchant.

 1726: ANNA MARIA BAYARD Dies. Buried in NY Bowerie. ?Vault of peter Styuvesant her grandfather. 

 1728. Peter Jay marries MARY Van COURTLANDT. Her father was Mayor of the City of New York. She lived in the Van Courtland Manor in Yonkers. They had seven children that lived to adulthood. 1728. Eve. 1730 Augustus, 1732 James, 1734. Peter, 1737. Anna Marika, 1745. JOHN. 1747. Frederick (Fady)

1730: Success as a merchant in New Amsterdam. 

 1740: Small pox epidemic sweeps NY? Peter and Anna Marika are left blinded. 

 1745: Peter Jay Purchased tract of land in Rye NY and built house there. Moved his family to Rye from New York as safer for them. 

 1745: JOHN JAY born and grows up in Rye. 

 1750: James Jay returns to Peloquin family in Bristol for education. 

 1751: Father AUGUSTUS JAY dies. Buried at church of St Marks in the Bowerie. Start of the Jay Vault? 

 1760: James Jay, MD degree from the Univ of Edinburgh 

 1763: Sir James Jay knighted by King George III for collecting funds for Kings College 

 1765: First Colonial Congress in NY re the recent taxation by the King. Growing unhappiness with taxation laws of the King. 

 1766: EVE Jay marries Rev Henry MUNRO and moves to Albany. He has one daughter, Elizabeth, by his first marriage. 

 1767: Peter Jay MUNRO born to Eve Jay Munro and Henry Munro in Rye. They are living in Albany where Henry is rector of St Peters Church. He is a Loyalist. 

 1774: John Jay marriage to SARAH Van BRUGH LIVINGSTON. Her father is governor of New Jersey and a strong supporter of the separation from England.
Five children are born. 1776 Peter Augustus, in Livingston, NJ, 1782 Maria (Nancy) in Spain, 1783 Anna in Paris, 1789 William in NY, 1792 Sarah Louisa in NY. 

 1775: Start of the Revolution in Massachusetts. 

 1776: Declaration of Independence is passed by New York. War Starts. Washington is almost defeated in Brooklyn. He retreats. New York City is controlled by the Loyalists 

 1776: Westchester becomes no mans land with Loyalist and Separatist feelings. Skinners and Cow Boys are creating dangers. Peter Jay decides he must leave with his wife, who has severe arthritis, his two blind children Peter and Anna Marika, Augustus, and servants and at least three slaves. Frederick arranges for them to Move to the house of Theodore Van WYCK in Fishkill.

1776 to 1800 during the war the family is split. Sir James has Loyalist background and unsuccessfully tries to develop a plan for Peace living in London and NY. Eve is in Albany with her Loyalist husband the Rev Harry Munro. He is forced to leave the country and she will return to Rye after the war with her son Peter Munro. John Jay is with his wife Sarah either in Spain or Paris. He becomes the major negotiator of the peace agreement with The King. Their oldest son Peter Augustus is either with his Livingston or Jay grandparents during the war. Fady is living in Fishkill and Poughkeepsie.

During this time the New Government is also in crises. The Capitol of New York shifts from NYC, loyalist controlled, to Fishkill, to Poughkeepsie, and eventually to Albany. 

 1777: Mary Van COURTLANDT Jay dies in Fishkill. She is buried there in the crypt of Gysbert Schenck, the location of which is unknown. 

1778: The Van Wyck house in Fishkill is robbed and the Jays loose most of their property.

1777: Articles of confederation passed. 

 1779: Frederick arranges for father Peter JAY and family to move from Fishkill to Poughkeepsie. 

 1780: John Jay with Sally go to Spain. Peter Jay Munro goes with them as secretary. 

 1780: “Sir” James Jay lives with Anne Erwin. they have one child who marries and has descendants 

 1782: Peter JAY dies in Poughkeepsie and is buried with his wife in the vault of Gysbert Schenck.

1783: Blind Peter inherits the Rye House and Property. Probably moves back to Rye about that time. 

 1783: Eve Jay Munro moves with her son Peter Jay Munro back to the Rye House from Albany. She continues to be a problem! 

 1783: Faddy Jay probably moves to property he inherited from his father in the East Bay in NYC with his wife, Polly. 

 1783: The British leave New York: George Washington makes a triumphal return 

 1785: John Jay is serving as Secretary of Foreign Affairs and living in New York.

1785 to 1790: New York serves as Capitol of the United States. 

1785: Constitutional Convention and need for ratification of the new Constitution. John Jay was one of the three authors, with Madison and Hamilton, of the Federalist Papers. 

 1785: Sir James Jay practices medicine in Springfield, New Jersey. Probably takes care of Gov. William Livingston. 

1788: New FEDERAL Constitution ratified. George Washington elected the first president of the United States.

1

789: JJ Appointed First Chief Justice of the Supreme Court 

 1789: “Blind” Peter Jay marries Mary Duyckinic, and continue to live in Rye 

 1790: Peter Jay Munro marries Margaret White, his second cousin. He is working in the law office of Aaron Burr

1790: Gov William Livingston dies in NJ at his home, Liberty Manor. Leaves PAJ his watch! 

 1791: Anna Marika died at the Rye House and is buried in the family vault at St Marks Church in the Bowerie.

1791: Margaret “Polly” Barclay Jay, wife of Faddy dies in New York. Probably buried in the Jay Vault. 

 1794: Peter Augustus goes as secretary to his father to London to draw the JAY treaty 

 1794: Fady Jay marries Euphame Dunscomb, the first cousin of his brother Peter’s wife. This marriage is not popular with the family. 

 1797: Albany is made Capitol of New York. 

 1797: John Adams elected second president of the United States. The French Revolution in progress. 

 1795 to 1801: John Jay elected Governor and lives in Albany. Leader of the Federalist Party. As Governor Is able to get NY to ratify the new Constitution. 

 1799: Frederick “Fady” Jay dies in New York and is buried there. The location is in the family Vault at St Marks. (With his first wife)

 1800: Peter Jay Munro completed his Manor House in Larchmont. He lives in NYC, but uses it in the summer. 1794 to 1814: PJM and MW have twelve children, ten live to adulthood. 

 1801: Thomas Jefferson elected third president of the United States. Louisiana Purchase. 

 1801: Anna Maria Jay marries Goldsborough Banyer 

 1802: JJ wife Sarah Livingston Jay dies and is buried in the family vault in New York. John Jay retires from public life. 

 1802: JJ moves into the new house built on Van COURTLANDT property in Bedford. 

 1803: Living at Bedford with JJ are his daughter Ana who took over the role of her mother, William, and Sarah Louise. Marie Jay Banyer moved in with them in 1808 after the death of her husband and young son. 

 1804: The start of the JAY cemetery in RYE. The son of Marie Jay Banyer who died at age 1 in 1804 was the first burial. Her husband died two years later. 

 1806: Contents of the family vault from the Bowerie in NY were brought to Rye and buried in the cemetery plot. 

1807: PAJ marries his second cousin Mary Rutherford CLARKSON. Her father was General Matthew Clarkson. 1808 to 1827 Eight children are born. John Clarkson JAY, Mary Rutherford, Sarah, Catharine Helena, Anna Maria, Peter Augustus, Elizabeth Clarkson, Susan Matilda. 

 1809: James Madison elected fourth President of the United States. War of 1812 with England. Burning of Washington. Star-Spangled Banner! 

 1810: Eve JAY dies in Rye and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1812: William JAY marries Hannah MCVICKER. 1813 to 1823 FIve children are born. Anna, Maria Banyer, John Jay II, Sarah Louisa, Eliza. 1833: last child, Augusta, “Fusty” is born. Five girls and one boy. 

 1813: “Blind” Peter Jay dies at Rye and is buried in the Cemetery. JJ inherits the Rye house, but Peter Jay’s widow Mary Duyckinck continues to live there. 

 1815: Sir James Jay dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery 

 1817: Euphame Dunscomb Jay dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

1822: Rye house given by JJ to son PAJ 

 1824: Mary Duckynick widow of Blind Peter dies in Rye. House now used by PAJ and family as a summer house. The original house is in poor repair, and plans are started to tear it down and build new house on the same site. 

1825: John Quincey ADAMS elected president. Erie Canal is finished. 

 1829: JOHN JAY dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery 

 1829: Andrew JACKSON elected president. Forced Indian migration and the Trail of TEARS 

 1829: Mary Rutherford Jay(PA) marries Frederick Prime. 1830 to 1835 they have three children. 1830 Mary Rutherford, 1832 Harriet, 1835 Helen Jay. 

 1830: William Jay inherits the Bedford retirement house. Lives there with his wife and children. 

 1831: John Clarkson Jay(PA) marries Laura Prime. Her brother, Frederick will marry his sister Mary Rutherford Jay. They live in New York, and will move to Rye in 1843.
1832 to 1848: They have eight children seven of whom live to adulthood. 1832 Laura, 1837 Mary Jane, 1839 Cornelia, 1841 Peter Augustus, 1844 John Clarkson II, 1846 Alice, and 1848 Sarah 

 1835: Mary Rutherford Jay Prime dies in childbirth with her third child. Very tragic death. A tall monument is placed in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1835: Catharine Helena Jay(PA) marries Henry Augustus Du BOIS. They live in New York, Newton Falls, Ohio, and New Haven, CT. 1836 to 1860 they have seven children that survive infancy. 1836 Cornelius, 1840 Henry Augustus, 1846 John Jay, 1849 Augustus, 1852 AlfredWagstaff, 1854 Mary Rutherford, 1860 Robert Ogden. 

 1836: PAJ tears down the original RYE house, the Locusts, and construction of new Greek Revival house on the original site takes place to be finished about 1838. 

 1836: Sarah Jay(PA) marries William Dawson. They have three children, two survive infancy and one marries and has issue. 

1843 Mary Jay Dawson marries Col Colwell FRANKLAND and live in England. 

 1837: John Jay II.(Wm) marries Eleanor Field. He was ambassador to Prussia, pres of American Bible Society, very involved in anti slavery. They had five children. 1839 Eleanor Kingsland, 1841 Col William Jay, 1844 Augusta, 1846 Mary, 1849 Anna 

 1838: Mary Rutherford Clarkson Jay, wife of PAJ, dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. She dies before the new house in Rye has been completed. 

 1839: Anna Jay(Wm) marries Rev Lewis BALCH. They have three children that survive infancy. 1839 Augusta Jay, 1843 Elizabeth, 1847 Lewis P. 

 1841: Anna Maria Jay(PA) marries Henry Evelyn Pierrpont. They have six children that survive infancy. 1842 Mary Rutherford, 1845 Henry Evelyn, 1849 John Jay, 1855 William Augustus, 1857 Julia Jay, 1861 Anna Jay. 

 1843: Peter Augustus Jay dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery in Rye. Last words were: “Read the BIBLE and believe it” 

 1843: John Clarkson Jay (pa) inherits the Rye Property and lives in the new house. He is an original member of the New York Yacht Club. His sailing boat, La Coquille, is part of the NYYC racing fleet. He has also become an expert on sea shells and has developed an extensive collection. This was obtained after his death by the NY American Museum of Natural History. 

 1843: JCJ takes charge of running the Jay Cemetery plot. 

 1846: Sarah Jay Dawson(PA) dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1847: Maria Banyer Jay (Wj) marries John Butterworth. They have two children. 1848 Augusta Jay, 1851 Eliza Jay

1848: Peter Augustus Jay, II (PA) marries Josephine Pearson . They have one child, 1850, Augustus Jay. 

 1849: Anna Jay BALCH(WJ) dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1851: Hannah White JAY, wife of William Jay, dies and is buried in Bedford 

 1851: Maria Banyer Jay Butterworth(WJ) dies after childbirth 

 1852: Susan Matilda Jay(PA) marries Matthew Clarkson. They live in New York. They have one child 1853, Banyer.

1852: Josephine Pearson Jay dies, wife of PAJ II. Buried in Jay Cemetery. 

 1853: Laura Jay(JCJ) marries Charles Pemburton WURTS. They have six children. 1856. John, 1857 Rudolph, 1859. Charles, 1862. Alexander, 1863. Martha, 1869 Pierre. 

 1855: Peter Augustus JAY II (pa) dies at age 34 and is buried in the Jay Cemetery 

 1858: William Jay dies and is buried in Bedford. John Jay II inherits the Bedford house and property. 

 1861: Abraham Lincoln elected as president.. 

 1861: Mary Jane JAY (JCJ) marries Jonathen EDWARDS. They have one child 1862, Laura. 

 1861 to 1865: US CIVIL WAR Those serving
1861: Rev Peter Augustus Jay, Growing up as he did during the Civil War, a time when Rye was active securing volunteers, he raised a local militia for the Union and became its Captain. With several absences due to the war, he ultimately graduated #14 from Columbia College in 1863. The summer afterwards, he went with his company to Harrisburg, and to Fort Marshall near Baltimore and in 1864 could be found with his company at Fort Richmond, Staten Island. Later his company had the honor of attending Lincoln’s inaugural in 1865.

1862. John Clarkson Jay II, During the Civil War served as a Pvt., Co. F., 71st Regt., New York State Militia (National Guard). Enlisted on 27 May and mustered out on 2 Sep 1862. 1864: Served as acting Asst. Surgeon, US Army, in Armory Square Hosp., Washington, DC, and in Sedgwick General Hosp., Greenville, LA.

1863 Cornelius Jay Du Bois, Gettysburg, PA Served as Captain of Co D, 27 Reg Vol of Conn, in Tooks brigade under General Hanock. Wounded at the Gettysburg and saved by his brother, Henry. He was Decorated for his Bravery at Gettysburg
1864, Service in 40th Conn regiment under Gen Hooker Contiinued to serve as adjuvent

1861-1865: Henry Augustus Du BoisII Civil War: Surgeon Served under General Sheridan. Inspector of the hospitals of the Army of the Potomac. Was involved in Gettysburg where he saved his brothers life. He found his brother mortally injured after the second day. Was able to save him.
1867 Fort Union. New Mexico Surgeon involved with the Indian territory

1861-1865: Col William Jay. Civil War. An ardent patriot, he put aside his studies for the time and became a member of General Wool’s staff, and with the rank of 1st Lieutenant, and later serving on the staff of Generals George E. Morrell and George Sykes, and from January, 1863, to May, 1865, on the staff of General George G. Meade, and he took part in very many of the battles of the War. He was brevetted Major in April, 1864, “for faithful and meritorious services in the field,” and, later in the same year, was brevetted Lieutenant-Colonel “for gallant and meritorious services during the recent campaign, resulting in the fall of Richmond and the surrender of the insurgent army under General R. E. Lee.” 

 1865: Abraham Lincoln Assassinated. 

 1869: Rev Peter Augustus JAY marriage to Julia Post. They have four children.
1870 Pierre, 1872 Mary Rutherford, 1874. Laura Prime, 1875. John JAY 

 1872: John Clarkson Jay, II (JCJ) Marriage to Harriette Arnold VINTON. They had two children that lived to adulthood. 1875 Edith Van Courtlandt, 1880 John Clarkson III. 

 1875: Rev Peter Augustus JAY death suddenly at age 34. Buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1876: Augustus Jay marriage to Emily Astor Kane. They had two children. 1877 Peter Augustus Jay, 1881 DeLancey Kane Jay 

 1878: Col William JAY marriage to Lucy OELRICHS. They have one child who lives to adulthood and marries. 1882 Eleanor “Moppy” JAY. 

 1880: Henry Augustus Du BOISII Marriage to Emily Maria BLOIS in San Rafael, Marin, California. They had five children. 1881 Helen Jay, 1882 Henry Augustus III, 1884 Ernest Blois, 1886 Hannah L., 1889. Emily Blois 

 1888: Laura Prime JAY, the wife of JCJ dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery 

 1891: John Clarkson JAY dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. The Rye house and property are inherited by the children. 

 1894: Col William JAY Inherited the Bedford house from his father and lived there with his family. Col. Jay served in the Grand Army of the Potomac during the Civil War. Old Fred, the horse that carried him safely through such horrific battles as Gettysburg and Chancellorsville, is remembered on a stone marker at the entrance to a garden near the west end of the house. 

 1897: Mary Jay EDWARDS (JCJ) dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery 

 1907: Cornelia JAY (JCJ) dies and buried in the Jay Cemetery. Unmarried. 

 1909: Peter Augustus Jay marriage to Susan McCook. They have two children. One lives to adulthood and marries. 1918 Susan Mary 

 1910: DeLANCEY Kane Jay marriage to Elizabeth Sarah Morgan. They have six children. 

 1910: Laura Jay WURTS (JCJ) dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery. 

 1919: Augustus Jay dies and is buried in the Jay Cemetery.